You are recently engaged and considering where to get married. Sydney couples are faced with a vast amount of choices. Do you have a wedding in Sydney city with iconic landmarks as your backdrop? Or do you get out of town for a country wedding? Then locations like the Hunter Valley, Blue Mountains, NSW South Coast and the Southern Highlands provides couples with even more choices.
Today we are focusing on The Southern Highlands as a wedding destination. The area opens up the door to some truly magical venues. And why Im here today to convince you that your perfect wedding venue might just be in the Southern Highlands.
The Southern Highlands is an idyllic weekend escape destination as its an easy drive located south-west of Sydney. What better way to celebrate your marriage than a weekend of celebrations. The fresh country air and beautiful country landscape of the Southern Highlands, provides an abundance of photo opportunities to capture your love story.
COUNTRY WEDDINGS IN SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS
5 REASONS TO HAVE A COUNTRY WEDDING IN THE SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS
1. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION – the Southern Highlands is within 2 hours drive from Sydney. Escape the crowds of the city for a peaceful location set amongst a countryside setting.
2. GREAT WEATHER – set inland from the NSW South Coast, the Southern Highlands experiences a cooler climate making outdoor ceremonies more comfortable for you and your guests for the majority of the year – meaning you don’t have to get married during peak wedding season.
3. CHARMING VENUES – the Southern Highlands is spoilt with charming country estates that open their doors for wedding celebrations. There is even a list of our Top 12 Wedding Venues in the Southern Highlands listed below. The Southern Highlands is a popular wedding destination so you will want to lock in your date with a venue as soon as you make your decision.
4. EXCELLENT SUPPLIERS – because the Southern Highland has built a reputation for being one of NSW’s prettiest destinations to get married, brides and grooms can draw from a huge selection of wedding suppliers who are willing to travel. Weddings photographers like myself, are happy to travel to the Southern Highlands where there is an abundance of pretty locations for wedding photography.
5. CELEBRATE FOR MORE THAN 1 DAY – the Southern Highlands is a popular tourist destination with many different places to explore. Rather than just having your wedding span one day, make a long weekend of it.
I am a Sydney based photographer, that has clocked up 8 year experience shooting country weddings throughout NSW and Queensland.
My style is photographing unique country weddings with a relaxed atmosphere and a natural approach through candid, documentary photography.
I am available for weddings all over country NSW including the Southern Highlands which includes the areas of Bowral, Moss Vale, Fitzroy Falls, Berrima, Bundanoon, Robertson, Sutton Forest and further afield. In fact some of my favourite wedding venues are located in the Southern Highlands. And before we go any further, let me point out there are no travel fees for me to photograph your Southern Highlands wedding.
I have photographed at some of Australia’s most unique country wedding venues – browse the photo galleries below for inspiration for your Southern Highlands wedding.
Hopefully this gives you an idea of what country weddings feel like!
TOP 12 WEDDING VENUES IN THE SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS
The Southern Highlands area has some of the most romantic wedding venues. When planning your wedding, you naturally want to consider venues that offer beautiful locations for your wedding photos in the one location so you can quickly return to your guests. If you’re considering having a wedding in the Southern Highlands, we have put together a list of some of the best wedding venues in the Southern Highlands.
- Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa is a luxurious wedding venue located amongst a secluded hilltop woodlands near Bowral in the beautiful Southern Highlands. After entering the imposing gates, up the tree-lined driveway, you are greeted by a grand mansion, built at the turn of the 20th century. The estate offers breathtaking views and immaculate gardens. No other venue offers anything quite like Milton Park, taking you back to a bygone era of glamour, you will feel totally spoilt. Visit the Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa website
- Somerley House is an enchanting Victorian home graciously set amongst established gardens. Romance in abundance from the moment you enter the winding tree-lined driveway which leads you to a stately home capturing timeless charm. Perfect for unforgettable garden parties and unique wedding celebrations where you can dance under the stars! Visit the Somerley House website
- Bendooley Estate is a premier wedding destination in the Southern Highlands. This beautiful historic country retreat is a wonderful location for your wedding day. With 200 acres to roam, it offers a variety of breathtaking locations for your wedding photos. Luxurious cottages for you and your guests. With two churches in nearby Berrima for your ceremony, the gardens, lake vistas, the Book Barn and The Stables for those seeking rural glamour. With the ability to accommodate between 200 to 250 people, depending on your choice of location for your reception, means that Bendooley Estate can cater for intimate weddings through to large festive celebrations. Visit the Bendooley Estate website
- Kangaroo Valley Bush Retreat is a unique wedding venue on the NSW South Coast. Off the beaten path providing a truly Australian bush wedding experience. Offering several magnificent natural venues, The Rock Cathedral is a popular ceremony choice for its distinctive, awe inspiring beauty. The viewing platform provides breathtaking views of Kangaroo Valley and a perfect sunset for your wedding photos. The ultimate all-in-one wedding venue. Visit the Kangaroo Valley Bush Retreat website
- Peppers Manor House in Sutton Forest is a country estate set amongst the rolling green hills of the Southern Highlands. The moment you drive through the gates you are welcomed by a grand setting. Suitable for intimate weddings and extravagant affairs. Spectacular photography opportunities. Easily one of the most beautiful wedding venues in the Southern Highlands. Visit the Peppers Manor House website
- Sylvan Glen Country House is a Southern Highlands wedding venue that offers total privacy. You’ll be able to party with loved ones, eat fabulous food and spend time in the well maintained venue for a weekend you’ll remember forever. The Shepherd’s Hut Salon is filled with natural light, perfect for the bride and bridesmaids to get ready. There is a Groom’s Room too, the total man-cave with X-Box, pool table and arcade games for the groom and groomsmen to relax. Enter the outdoor ceremony space through an aisle of trees in the orchard or an alternative front garden space is available. For those that still want a traditional church wedding, you have some options in nearby Bundanoon. You and your guests enjoy cocktail hour in the garden, served champagne from the Tiffany blue retro Champervan. Visit the Sylvan Glen Country House website
- Fitzroy Inn Historic Retreat is a unique country wedding venue with old world charm and modern comfort located in the foothills of Mount Gibraltar in the Southern Highlands. With beautiful gardens and the original colonial building is the perfect setting for a romantic country wedding. Choose to have your outdoor ceremony by the weir or underneath the century hold Oak trees. Wet weather backup options are available, the expansive verandah or one of the beautiful sitting rooms. Your evening reception is in the converted stables of the old historic inn, in the atrium of the Fitzroy Dining Room. Visit the Fitzroy Inn Historic Retreat website
- Peppers Craigieburn is a Southern Highlands wedding venue with period grandeur from the charming homestead, heritage listed stables and immaculate gardens. A beautiful country venue bringing rustic, elegant and charming together in one location. Visit the Peppers Craigieburn Weddings website
- Gibraltar Hotel in Bowral features floor to ceiling windows overlooking the golf course. An abundance of photography opportunities. The ballroom is perfect for your evening celebrations. Gilbraltar Hotel has everything you need in one location. Visit the Gibraltar website
- Hillview Heritage Hotel is a rustic vintage venue in the Southern Highlands offering incredible views of the valley. With a history dating back to the mid 1860s and used as a country escape for Governors fleeing city life in Sydney and in more modern times housing royalty, you are in good company. Perfect for an outdoor garden wedding and photo opportunities. Visit the Hillview Heritage Hotel website
- Mali Brae Farm is a charming rural wedding venue set on 90 acres of picturesque countryside in Moss Vale. Retaining the character of its humble origins, the transformed rustic hay shed is full of character with modern facilities. With beautiful gardens to stroll through for your wedding photos. View the Mali Brae Farm website
- Jaspers Berry is an enchanted country hideaway nestled in lush gardens. The luxury wedding venue has romantic secret gardens, historic buildings, and an elegant dance hall will leave you feeling as if you entered a fairytale. The entire day can be held in one location – from the Hollywood glam bridal salon and boutique guest house for getting ready, an intimate courtyard ceremony space, cocktails, romantic gardens for your bridal portraits, with evening celebrations in the decadent Orangery room and moving into the Old School House for dancing and cocktails. Visit the Jaspers Berry website
So if you have your heart set on a Southern Highlands wedding, perhaps you’ll find your perfect venue and location among those above. We have also put together a handy timeline to plan your Southern Highlands country wedding.
If you are looking for a photographer for your wedding in Southern Highlands, I would love to chat! Fill out the contact form and let me know more about what you have planned and I will get back to you straight away to confirm if your date is available along with the price list!