Your engaged and planning your wedding – it can be difficult to know where to begin with how much time to allocate for each part of the wedding day.
First piece of advice I would offer, is remember that you have invested in professional suppliers that have years of experience working with brides and grooms. Suppliers that have worked on many weddings before and can provide you valuable information and helpful advice to plan the part of your wedding which they are involved in.
Below is the perfect wedding timeline for an afternoon ceremony / evening reception.
Wedding Timeline – Afternoon Ceremony / Evening Reception
For an afternoon ceremony / evening reception, the bride and bridesmaids wont be getting up at the crack of dawn to start hair & makeup – girls we know you like that one. Plus you get to party into the night.
Remember, these times are estimates and you should always plan your wedding timeline with your respective suppliers. Things like number of bridesmaids can affect how long you need for bride prep, how long your ceremony lasts can depend on if its a church wedding or garden ceremony, even the number of guests can affect how long your photographer will need to photograph the congratulations and family photos.
A sample timeline for an ‘afternoon ceremony / evening reception’:
Note: you will need to take into consideration the time of year, if your having a Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter wedding, because the sun sets at different times throughout the year. The best time for photos is an hour before sunset. If your wedding photos fall into your top priority, you will want to start your ceremony leaving sufficient time for your wedding party photos to make the most of the beautiful natural light.
- 9.00am — hair and makeup commences.
- 11.00am – photographer arrives at groom’s accommodation for getting ready photos and portraits.
- 12.30am — photographer arrives at brides accommodation for getting ready photos and portraits.
- 2.30pm — guests begin to arrive for the ceremony.
- 3.00pm — ceremony begins.
- 3.30am — the ceremony finishes and guests congratulate the newlyweds. Group photo and family photos.
- 4.00pm – bridal party location shoot and bride & groom portrait session.
- 6.00pm – the reception begins.
- 6.30pm – meals are served and speeches.
- 8.30pm – time to cut the cake or bring out dessert.
- 8.45pm – first dance followed by mingling/dancing.
- 11.00pm – newlyweds depart.
- 11.15pm – guests leave.
Great news, there’s a stack more tips from where this article came from!